[pure-silver] Re: Amidol and oxidization

  • From: "Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee" <michaelandpaula@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 00:46:55 -0400

The "Chamlees" are Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee, and while I like to give credit to Paula for so many things (someday they will say, Michael A. Smith, Michael A. Smith . . . wasn't he Paula Chamlee's husband?), the Amidol formula I developed after a great deal of trial and error is mine alone.

Water 750 cc
Sodium sulfite  30 grams
Citric Acid     3 grams
Pot. Bromide    3 cc (10% solution)
Amidol          8 grams
Water to make 1000 cc

For three liters the proportions of the Pot. Bromide and the Amidol change
Water   2500 cc
Sodium Sulfite  90 grams
Citric Acid     9 grams
Pot. bromide    12 cc
Amidol          20 grams

Paula and I have compared our "black" Amidol with new light gray Amidol--have printed the same negative developed in one tray and then immediately did it again in another tray--and have found no difference between the prints.

A long time ago the Photographers Formulary had some "black " Amidol. They thought it was no good and we purchased at a great discount. It worked perfectly. Now they are selling the very black "Chinese" Amidol. It stains everything, needs straining a couple of times, some report it stains the prints a pink or yellow color (I forget which) until the print is well washed. We find no difference in the final result. We purchased more than we needed and are selling it off for little more than we paid for it and for substantially less than the Formularly sells it for. It has a Formularly label on it. If anyone is interested, please inquire.

One other thing: When printing on silver chloride paper do not use Rapid Fix. It does give a pink color to the prints. We use pain Sodium Thiosulfate with 15 grams of Sodium Bisulfite added per half gallon.

Michael A. Smith

----- Original Message ----- From: Eric Nelson