[pure-silver] Re: Aha! Scan This....

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 20:50:04 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Randall" <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2007 7:23 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Aha! Scan This....

On 2/4/07 3:56 PM, "Stein" <rstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear Bob,

Ah, well, there you go. My reading list has been wrong. I am currently enjoying 'The Thin Man" by Dashiell Hammet. If Deadly Rival turns up with the Canon tilt and shift lens I'll pull out a .32 and fill him full of lead....

    Uncle Dick

And I wouldn¹t blame you.

Bob

What you want for people with cannons is Hammett's earlier work, particularly the "Continental Op" short stories, although _Red Harvest_ does pretty well. Of course it was Raymond Chandler who said that if you were having trouble figuring out what to do next in a story "have a man come in the door with a gun." "The .45 looked like a cannon in his small hands." Am I remembering that or did I make it up? My favorite weapon in any detective story is the one in _The Maltese Falcon_. "Ever see one of these? "Yeah, Webley-Fosbery automatic revolver, 38 caliber, 8 shot. They don't make them any more." A trick on the reader who will think the author doesn't know the difference between an automatic and a revolver (many writers don't). Well, not Hammett, who knew perfectly well. This is an actual gun and a quite rare collector's item. It IS an automatic _and_ revolver. The bullets are carried in a rotating cylinder which is operated by the recoil which also cocks the hammer. The one in the movie is a .455 British, 6 shot version, much commoner, made for the British Army before WW-1. My guess is that the Warner property department couldn't find the right one. The trick to understanding Hammett is to realize that nothing and no-one is what they seem to be.

---