[pure-silver] Re: Adding Sodium Sulfite to Sodium Thiosufale.

  • From: Bogdan <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2011 19:13:27 -0400

hello,

I should have mentioned that I use an acetic acid bath for my stop, so I imagine there would be some carry over into the 1st hypo bath, so I take it that I would need to add some Sodium Sulfite, but the question is how much?

Cheers,
Bogdan

On 4/2/2011 6:29 PM, Gerald Koch wrote:
Sodium sulfite is not needed unless that hypo solution is acidified in some manner. If you don't use an acid stop bath you won't need it. When acid is added to a sodium thiosulfite solution colloidal sufur is produced. The sulfite ions combine with the sulfur to regenerate thiosulfate ions. There is a classic chemistry demonstration called "the setting sun." A beam of light from a slide projector is passed through a thiosulfite solution onto a screen. It looks like the sun. Then, with stirring, a small amount of acid is added. The "sun" becomes more and more reddish in appearence as colloidal sulfur scatters the light. It looks like the sun is setting. This scattering is of course exactly what happens to the real sun as it reaches the horizon. The light must pass through more of the atmosphere with greater scattering of the shorter wavelengths.
Jerry