[pure-silver] Re: 90mm lens for 4x5 recommendations

  • From: "Stein" <rstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:20:30 +0800

Dear Michael,

     The Mighty Shen Hao came with a 300mm f.5.6 Seagull lens - barrel style
with no shutter. The MSH has a packard shutter fitted inside the bellows
section.

     I was initially skeptical about it, thinking that I would need a
better-known brand. But my experiments with the new 8 x 10 back and standard
double darkslides have shown me that it is quite sharp enough for my
purposes. I am disinclined to change it. It is a little awkward to stop down
inside the wooden housing of the MSH, but I think a bit of jigsaw and
varnish work will cure that.

    I suspect it is a Chinese copy of a Soviet copy of a Tessar. If I had a
field 8 x 10 I might well choose a shuttered version of it as standard lens.
I suppose if I could get an unused artillery tractor I could take the Shen
out into the open air....

     Uncle Dick