[projectaon] Re: LWOAC progress

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 10:50:35 +0100

J H wrote:

I agree with using the list for alpha testing, and opening up beta testing to the public (since they don't have to d/l anything, just run the servers scripts). May main concern is the PA licence. Untill I have stable code, the PHP, and text derived from the XML is going to be hosted on one of my machines for manipulation reasons. During the beta test (public) this will have the effect of serving book pages from a non-PA server.

Hmm, yes, I see what you mean. OK, unless anyone from on high decrees otherwise (you still there, Jon?), I'd suggest the following:

1. Make all necessary files available on your own server, but do not link to them from any other page on your website.
2. Add a page to the Project Aon wiki (or ask someone else to set one up for you) which links to all the relevant files on your server. That way, it is still technically the PA server that is pointing to the files, thereby avoiding unpleasantness.

Before I had a staff account at PA, I used a similar method to make large files available to this list (uploading them to my own website, posting the links to the list), so as long as the User License is made full use of in your files, I don;t see it will be a problem.

Of course, Jon might decide to set up a staff account for you, which would negate the need for you using your server.

Just got through the array section of my PHP/MySQL book. I should be getting to the MySQL basics in a week. At that time I'm going to tey and vreate the item/equpment tables, as well as the player table. Then I'll get the GUI shell up, and test equping and unequiping items to test the inventory system.

Still looking forward very much to this. One thing I always forget when reading through the books is the +1 EP per section without combat for Healing, so if this proggy can cope with al the paperwork for me, I'll be a fan for life! ^_^