[projectaon] Re: LWOAC progress

  • From: J H <eyemixer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 04:08:09 -0700 (PDT)

Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hmm, yes, I see what you mean. OK, unless anyone from on high decrees otherwise
(you still there, Jon?), I'd suggest the following:

1. Make all necessary files available on your own server, but do not link to
them from any other page on your website.
2. Add a page to the Project Aon wiki (or ask someone else to set one up for
you) which links to all the relevant files on your server. That way, it is
still
technically the PA server that is pointing to the files, thereby avoiding
unpleasantness.

Before I had a staff account at PA, I used a similar method to make large files
available to this list (uploading them to my own website, posting the links to
the list), so as long as the User License is made full use of in your files, I
don;t see it will be a problem.

Of course, Jon might decide to set up a staff account for you, which would
negate the need for you using your server.

------------
No need for a staff account for now, I realized I have to tottaly map out the
tables before I start coding Iif I want things done right, so it'll be another
2 weeks before I can start putting up the shell code. The layout will be
simple, ImageReady can build the slices, then I just have to change out the
images with PHP text calls.

The first step is to code the pre-game setup for book 1. You can create a
character, pick disciplines, pick starting equipment, and play around with the
inventory system a bit. Next will be test run on non-book text, simple checks
to branch from a page to another, then add disp. checks, then randoms, then
inventory events, then combat, then puzzles.

Once all these run with a fixed demo text, I'll look into transforming the XML.
It seems a simple 3 pass parse will work. Each one leaves the page numbers, but
1 will strip out everything but the text (no combats or page choices). This
will be used in the GUI text window. The next will only have (including the
main page number of course) the page branches. This information will be used to
manually code pages with branching conditions. This will be abstacted in the
GUI to show only possible choices. This needs to be pulled so I can include the
actual book text related to each choice.The last pass will pull the combat
records, this will be used as an index for combats that need to be coded.

----------------

Still looking forward very much to this. One thing I always forget when reading
through the books is the +1 EP per section without combat for Healing, so if
this proggy can cope with al the paperwork for me, I'll be a fan for life! ^_^
-------------------------

EVERY possible action that can be taken in the game will be incuded. The
reality of computer (never forget and never get bored) management allows for
extention of the logical ruleset beyond the limitations of a printed book's
functionality. Various health stats that keep track of hunger vs. Psi vs.
normal damage. Day tracking in later books for the 100 and 20 per day healing.

Been looking at Freeway warrior, found scans of the four books. It looks like a
VERY interesting system. While the rules differ greatly from LW and GS,
hopefully once I can solve the current riddle what I learn should make the next
task easier. GS should actually be very easy as only slight mods from the LW
engine would have to be made.

Then again, I'm still working on getting the player to page 1 :D

Jacob Humphrey