[projectaon] Re: Entering a section number without a link

  • From: Timothy Pederick <pederick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 15:36:36 +0800

On 8 July 2010 05:21, Jonathan Daugherty <JDaugherty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> wrote:

> Maybe I misunderstand . . . I read the suggestion as asking for a link at
> the bottom of the riddle section's page that points to the page with all the
> numbers 1-350 as links, e.g.,
> http://www.projectaon.org/en/xhtml/lw/01fftd/numbered.htm for Book 1 --
> not asking for a link at the bottom of the page to the section answer.

No, I'm pretty sure that's right -- you haven't misunderstood.

> What I do when I get to the riddle sections is hit the link to "Table of
> Contents" at the bottom of the page, then hit the link for "Numbered
> Sections", and then hit the number ("67" in the example). But, I'd be happy
> with a direct "numbered sections" link added, since it saves a click.  But
> clicking through the ToC is just about as easy and doesn't require new code.

Yeah, I expect that'd be what most people do -- but the issue is not that
it's one extra click, but that it's unintuitive for those who haven't yet
gotten the hang of the layout of the Internet Editions. The ToC link is
there on every page; as borne out by the periodic queries and complaints
that we get, it's not immediately obvious that it's the way to proceed from
a "turn to the answer" section.

A link to the section list is the right way to go, in my opinion. (I
previously worried that we'd have to link to both section lists in 05SotS,
but since they don't actually cross over, only one needs to be linked to
each puzzle.)

--
Tim Pederick