[projectaon] Re: Entering a section number without a link

  • From: Timothy Pederick <pederick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 03:55:56 +0800

On 9 July 2010 00:15, Jonathan Blake <blake.jon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1) Not all formats will have linking capability (e.g. if someone
> chooses to print the upcoming PDFs).
>
> 2) Not all formats will present a separate Numbered Sections page.
>
> 3) It doesn't make much sense to tell a person to turn to the Table of
> Contents to turn to a numbered section in a printed book. (This is
> kind of a corollary to #1.)

Here's my thoughts: The link should be implemented in the transforms to
final formats, not in the XML itself. The HTML editions can add a link in a
footnote, or have a Javascripted interface pop up, or (my favourite) just
make the "turn to the entry number" text into a link. The PDF editions can
also make that text a link, and then it just doesn't show up when printed
(or at worst, it shows up in a different style: underlined, bold, whatever).

--
Tim Pederick