[projectaon] Re: Comment period for 03toz

  • From: James Durrant <james.durrant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 13:32:46 +0100

As a Brit here (but not a comma expert!) from an intonation point of view it
depends on context.
"OK, then I guess we need to..."
"Well I guess that's OK then"
"Very well, then I think we need to..."
"Well if that's all very well then we are agreed" (I'm not sure about this one
- I'm pretty sure the comma is better)
"OK! Men, we need to advance..." (The "OK" being the response to a previous
statement)
"OK men, are you on my side" (The OK being a call to arms - grouped with men as
the call)
On balance, I think comma would work more often than not - but you really do
need to read the line out loud in context of surrounding lines, and often there
won't be one right answer.

Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 08:18:18 -0400
Subject: [projectaon] Re: Comment period for 03toz
From: krefetz@xxxxxxxxx
To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 5:42 AM, Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 8/28/2015 12:23 AM, Jonathan Blake wrote:

On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 at 08:53 Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx

<mailto:outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Aside from a few (ne) issues which I've fixed-in-xml already, here's

what I spotted in my run-through of The Omega Zone...

(er) 44, 93, 104, 294: OK then -> OK, then

(er) 100: Very well then -> Very well, then [so: maybe]

(er) 177: OK men -> OK, men

I tend to agree with Ben here. Do people usually offset "OK" with a

comma? It feel unnatural in this circumstance because colloquially,

people don't pause between "OK" and the rest of the sentence, and "very

well then" is also spoken without pause.

Perhaps it's just you Americans, but a comma in these situations makes perfect
sense to me! :-p

The spoken "then" is always said as an offset, surely? "OK [rising intonation],
then [falling intonation]". Or is it just me? Maybe it is...
I haven't taken a poll of what other Americans would say, but in a normal
situation I would say both "OK" and "then" with a falling intonation, as a
single phrase. Saying the "OK" part with a rising intonation sounds exasperated
to me.
Ben