RE: WPF, Win32 and Forms with UI Automation

  • From: Chris Meredith <cmered@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 18:13:27 -0800

Rick,

Any control you create on a WPF Window would be a WPF control.  If you add a
Windows Form to a project, any control dropped on its design surface would be a
Windows Forms control.  Win32 controls are used in unmanaged code.  Of course,
we could complicate the situation further by saying that an MFC project written
in Visual C++ can also have Windows Forms controls, thus making it a "mixed
mode" project, but that gets headachy.

As far as needing Vista, that you don't need--the .NET Framework 3.0 will run
on Windows XP without a problem and gets installed when you install Visual
Studio 2008.