RE: Is WPF Accessable?

  • From: Chris Meredith <cmered@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 14:44:18 -0800

There's no really short answer to that question, sadly.  As it stands now, WPF
is accessible using UI Automation.  Sadly, however, screen reader vendors
haven't added access to UI Automation, for reasons of which I'm not entirely
certain, though I expect it has something to do with their reluctance to write
part of their product in managed code (I'm not entirely certain what
performance hits they would encounter there).  There is an unmanaged UI
Automation API, but documentation is minimal at best, and Microsoft strongly
advises using the managed API.  What I want to know, and perhaps someone more
wise in the ways of screen reader development than I can provide an answer
here, is why the vendors don't write potential UI Automation handlers in
managed C++, which is a recommended way of mixing managed and unmanaged code in
the same application (and I expect they're using C++ for at least part of their
development as it stands).