Re: Next steps on Open Komodo

  • From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 13:37:09 -0400

Hi,
I'd have to check, but I think that you could go into the JAWS 6 default
scripts and force them to look at MSAA first, then fall back on the
internal older way they work. That would take some time, but it could be
done. I don't know how the newest JAWS scripts approach this. Again, I'd
have to check. The object related functions have a true/false parameter
that you can put in that makes JAWS look at MSAA only. That would help you
test how well JAWS is doing with MSAA because if you don't put that
parameter in, JAWS supplies the usual windows information when it thinks it
is not seeing MSAA correctly. It does this silently so to speak.

I need to watch posting about JAWS scripts, because that is for another
list, but I'm trying to post in the context of whether or not JAWS further
back than 7 can be forced into looking at Komoto's MSAA implementation.

Thanks.

james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"Never doubt that a thoughtful group of committed citizens can change the
world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -- Margaret Mead

             "Aaron Leventhal"
             <aaronlev@moonset
             .net>                                                      To
             Sent by:                  programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             programmingblind-                                          cc
             bounce@freelists.
             org                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Next steps on Open Komodo

             11/01/2007 01:29
             PM

             Please respond to
             programmingblind@
               freelists.org

The wx widgets and win32 api widgets work because JAWS knows those
window classes, not because of MSAA support. JAWS widgets, I would have
thought they work via MSAA, but the JAWS 6 MSAA support might not be
turned on in all the cases that it is in later versions.

I'm not willing to spend significant time or expense worrying about JAWS
6. It's an old release. At some point you have to work efficiently, and
supporting old versions that are not as good with MSAA is an exercise in
frustration.

- Aaron