RE: KeySoft: a modern version under current OS's

  • From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 10:10:45 -0700

Hi Jared,
It's X-Scale PXA272 at 416 MHz. Still, in terms of memory management, it is
not that great - worse than Braille Sense family mostly because it runs
under CE.NET 4.20. Apex uses Freescale i.MX31 at 532 MHz (online articles
mistakenly wrote that it uses Atom processor) with WinCE 6.0.
I'd say porting KeySoft over to newer guys might produce confusion at first
and might generate mixed reviews (which was the case when this whole subject
was brought before members of BrailleNote List). The intention of the
originator of this idea was to make espeak sound more like a combo of KNGMM
(KeyNote Gold Multimedia) and Infovox 230 and to write open-source version
of KeySoft (almost 15 year old code) and rename it to avoid copyright
lawsuits. After talking to an ex-KeySoft developer about this idea, I can
see why - since KeySoft is HumanWare's property, HW would defend it to the
fullest.
Cheers,
Joseph