Re: Java Resources?

  • From: Jared Wright <wright.jaredm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 19:16:52 -0500

Hi Jay, Excellent explanations again, and it gives me plenty to take into account moving forward. I'll speak to the professor of the OOP course; I definitely see the value in doing so for everyone. Thanks again for all the helpful info, and I'm sure you'll hear more from me as things progress.

Jared

Macarty, Jay {PBSG} wrote:
Jared,
Speaking from my own experiences with java and swing, I'll make the
following observations. I work in a group that supports and enhances a
very large java framework application with several sub applications. The
user interface is a swing driven one with 50+ menu selections and 38
server processes in the background to support the various client
options. I started out as a programmer on this team and am now the
technical lead; so, in response to your question about being able to
productively function within this environment, I'd say that it is
certainly possible. However, you make a accurate assumption in stating
that it is very helpful to collaborate on analyzing and updating the
swing code logic itself to ensure that one has achieved the desired
results.
Currently, the most well known and accepted mechanism for dealing with
swing is through the java access bridge technology. While many advances
have been made over the past couple of years with both the access bridge
software and the support for it in jaws, my own experience has been that
very complex swing applications are still difficult to navigate
comfortably. If a swing based application is well designed and
constructed and if, even better, the developers coded the application to
make it easier for screen reading technologies to access the screens
(full support for keyboard navigation, logical tabbing orders, good use
of tool tips and setting accessible options, etc.), then that
application can be fairly usable. Unfortunately, it is very easy to
develop swing based applications which do not take these concepts into
consideration and there are many such products currently out there.
Here's one thing I would suggest you might consider discussing with your
java instructor depending on how comfortable you are. When the course
work turns to swing (which it will very likely do so), IBM has develops
some excellent guidelines on how to code applications which maximize
accessibility. If the instructor is agreeable, it would probably benefit
both you and the members of the class to spend some class time talking
about the topic of accessibility and how to code for it in swing
applications. Sadly enough, most java books spend little or no time
discussing this topic; so, it is entirely possible that your book for
the course doesn't address this specifically. However, it is certainly a
benefit to all parties concerned to spend a little time and maybe even
code an assignment using the IBM guidelines.
To summarize then, is it possible for a blind person to make a living
working within a large, heavily java oriented programming environment?
The answer is certainly yes; however, I don't think you are creating
phantom obstacles at all in realizing that java can present challenges
you might or might not encounter with Windows based application
platforms. SWT certainly offers a more accessible java interface but it
is still an add-on and isn't as widely used in what is termed "fat
clients" as swing for java applications. It is possible to write "good"
java code that at least works to maximize accessibility but
unfortunately, it is all too easy to create code that is not
accessibility friendly as well.
The java access bridge is one technology approach to addressing the
topic of swing access. However, its support by the screen reader
community is limited and the benefits of the bridge break down quickly
when an application is poorly designed. Designing an accessibility
solution for swing that is purely java based is another approach and
allows the software much more flexibility in attempting to analyze and
"fix" access to applications which are less than optimally designed.
Such solutions are also independent of the Windows screen readers being
used on the same workstation. This is the hope and objective of
developing the java screen reader.
Thanks for your questions and comments.