[pov] Re: "anonymous" photographer & photo theft

  • From: John Sage <jsage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 08:05:49 -0700

On 11-10-27 07:34 AM, Rondi Lightmark wrote:
Michael and Viv: doesn't a screen capture make the transparent gif
useless? I had someone who wanted to feature
my work on her website and promised me that she used the gif with all
the work posted. But a simple screen capture
showed her that she was wrong.

A transparent gif does nothing more than prevent "Right-click Save-as".

For knowledgeable users (and web spider writers) it's trivial to look at the html source, find the URL of the base image, and load that into another browser tab.

Presto...

John re Facebook: Yikes. When I think of all of the photographers (me
included), that have a page to promote their work on FB. . .

Yeah, I was pretty startled -- for about one moment. There's a lot I enjoy about Facebook, but there's also a great deal about it that's very concerning.

To put it mildly...

[makes note to self to check Google+'s Terms of Service]

- John
--
John Sage
FinchHaven Digital Photography