[pov] Re: "anonymous" photographer & photo theft

  • From: Michael Elenko <michael.elenko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 10:07:22 -0700

Rondi,

Sure you can capture anything on a screen. The value of what you've captured
depends on what you are going to do with it, and what is technically possible.
So as a photographer you've got to minimize the risk, while still reaping the
gains of easy visibility.

If one understands image resolution, and what can come of it, it can help guide
choices.

The statement that "most screen captures are at 72 ppi" is basically
inaccurate. Images don't have an inherent ppi, but they do have a Width x
Height in pixels.  PPI (pixels per inch) is only relevant here regarding the
quality of a print at various output sizes. It's really more useful to use
pixel Width X Height in sizing and evaluating your images.

The whole PPI (or DPI which as a misnomer makes things even more confusing) is
easy to misinterpret, probably because Photoshop has that Image Size resolution
box that tends to default at 72 PPI. Which is meaningless without looking at
the document size output dimensions.

For example: Let's say I upload an image of 1200 x 920 pixels to a site.
Photoshop shows that at 12.778 W X 16.667 H  at 72 PPI. In reality, a 13x17-in
print needs a resolution of about 180 ppi to have a hope of being good. And the
rule of thumb is that the smaller the print, the higher your PPI needs to be
because people can stick their eyeballs that much closer to smaller prints.

So using this example, what size image would hit the magic 300 PPI target? Be
sure to uncheck the Resample Image box, type in 300 in the PPI box, and one
will see that a 3x4-in image would print out nicely.

Let's further say that the site showing my 1200 x 920 pixel image uses the
transparent gif thing, and that the image appropriator isn't smart enough to
dig into the source code. So they use a screen capture. That screen capture
will never add pixels to the original image. It may come close to the original
size of that image. So I got a 916 x 1159 pixel image from the screen grab. A
print from that at 300 ppi would be 3 x 3.9 inches.

As a photographer if I'm uncomfortable with giving that away, then the solution
is to reduce the size of my original uploaded image. There is zero need to
upload high resolution images to the web in an uncontrolled context, unless you
want to give away your shots (and sometimes that's OK). The reality is that an
image with 640-700 pixels on the long size will meet the requirement of filling
up a computer screen on a webpage with enough detail to look good.

As a photographer, you can allow an image appropriator to have a screen shot,
as there is only about 25 cents worth of hard value there, but they are not
going to get a decent print out of it. A screen grab of my 700 pixel image will
yield a image of 1.5 x 1-inch for printing at 300 ppi. Go for it I say.

Ultimately you've got to balance the risk of giving away $.25 per screen grab
with the benefits of having your work (and maybe name) seen by others cheaply.

ME

For example,

Michael Elenko
Eye In The Triangle Photography