[phoenixchoralesc] Re: today's meeting

  • From: Russ Glidden <freestyle04098@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "phoenixchoralesc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <phoenixchoralesc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 10:47:16 -0400

good morning,
thank you for giving me the opportunity of participating in this
"adventure"...Given the fellowship that has always been a foundation to this
group, I was especially impressed with the level of energy and excitement as we
go forward in creating the singing group...that was meant to be!....and a huge
thank you to Deirdre for the by laws as I suspect she was instrumental in
putting this together...
my thoughts/recommendations from yesterday....
.....we should ....at some point establish a P O Box....funds permitting
.....If Mr. Benoit cannot undertake the task of qualifying us for 501c3
status....and it is a very long application....I would consider contacting Lynn
Cole, atty. , a non-profit [Sole prop.] law firm [899-1869] as he was the
lawyer assisting us with the Portland Community Chorus in successfully getting
the 501c3 status
.....communications is the most important element with any group.....We need a
rooster for both the BOD and the general singing group
.....we need to define "Quorum" as it relates to many sections of the
Articles....."A quorum must be attendance before business can be transacted or
motions made or passed. Decisions of the Board are made by a simple majority of
a quorum. A quorum is defined as at least [50%] of the current members
.[Board/rooster of singers]
.....we need a Non-Discriminatory Policy.....The Phoenix Chorale Portland, its
Board, committees, and staff, shall not discriminate regarding membership or
employment because of race, color, religion, sex, age, handicap, or sexual
orientation.
.....I would consider meeting with an attorney sooner rather then later as much
of our discussions/issues probably can be answered/addressed and confirmed
through a person who knows the "system"....Much of our by-laws are "boiler
plate" anyway . The most important article for us is #3......Articles of
Incorporation – Your Founding DocumentArticles of incorporation legally
“create” or “found” your nonprofit corporation. Some states call this document
the “articles of formation” or “certificate of formation.”
The articles are filed with the State and become a public document. They define
what the corporation will do and who will be initially responsible for the
management of the corporation.
What are the Bylaws?Bylaws are your organization’s operating manual. They set
out the rules that govern the internal management of an organization.
Nonprofits that seek 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status from the IRS need to have
bylaws in place, since the IRS asks for a copy of its internal governing
documents to be included in the application packet.
You must keep a copy at the nonprofit corporation’s principal place of
business. A copy of the bylaws, signed by a corporate officer, must be
submitted when applying for federal tax-exemption.

just some of my thoughts

Russ

From: mloringme@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [phoenixchoralesc] today's meeting
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 14:21:00 -0400
To: phoenixchoralesc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi all,Thank you for your participation, insights, and time at today’s meeting.
A special welcome to Anna and Russ.
We moved ahead with some important issues and have more to address and think
about.
Brief recap: Linda will type up today’s minutesWe need to get any Bylaws
comments to Deirdre by COB this FridayDeirdre will incorporate our comments
into the Bylaws Deirdre will develop a letter of intent for Rory’s friend John
re a grant proposalNov. 21 our fall concertSeptember 3 first rehearsal of the
new singing yearPotluck September 17 @5:30
Next meeting will be Thursday September 10 @5:30. An invitation to PCP will be
sent out for those interested in participating. Also a call for one or two
additional board members.
More about agenda etc. later this month.
Thank you Leigh for sharing you lovely summer home with us today.
Enjoy August.
Margaret
Reply Not Required (RNR) :-)
Margaret L. Merrill, EdDEarly Childhood InstructorUniversity of Southern Maine
at Lewiston Auburn USM ETEP/TEAMS Field Supervisor37 College Avenue8 Bailey
HallGorham, ME 04038
margaret.merrill@maine.edumloringme@gmail.com207 282 5144207 841 7856