[phoenixchoralesc] Re: grant proposal first stab

  • From: Deirdre McClure <dmcclure@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "phoenixchoralesc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <phoenixchoralesc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 09:17:23 -0400

Hi linda,

You raise some good points. On the lawyer one......Anna's husband is not an
atty who does this kind of work on a regular basis, and Russ' friend just did
this for another group. So in the interest of speed, I thought it would be
best. But that's just my thinking, and Anna - if you have already asked Hank,
and he said yes, then GREAT!

I too thought Rory might have asked all of us before sending it out, but Rory
knows this fellow and I trust his judgement. Rory...in the future....best to
err on the side of too MUCH communication rather than too little!

Deirdre

On Aug 10, 2015, at 8:06 AM, Linda Atherton <l.atherton@xxxxxxx> wrote:

First of all, when did Anna's husband turn us down? If he has, it's news to
me. Second, at last Wednesday's meeting we decided that IF he did, then
Margaret would call Russ's friend. Third, I have no recollection of agreeing
to the letter being sent in as a rough draft. I never saw a copy of what was
sent off. When was it decided that Rory would make changes to it and send it
off without any of the board having read it?

Rory, I understand that you want this to happen immediately. So do the rest
of us. But this kind of unilateral decision-making on your part, which from
my perspective is an ongoing problem, makes me very uncomfortable about
staying on as a board member.

To answer your question, Deirdre, I'm willing to work with an attorney on the
501(c)(3) application, but I would need to discuss it with him first to find
out what kind of time commitment it would involve.

Will someone please copy me on the email(s) I apparently haven't received?

Linda

On Aug 9, 2015, at 3:11 PM, Deirdre McClure <dmcclure@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ok.

How about this:

We use Russ' lawyer now. Linda and he work on it together, instead of
serially as we discussed on Wed. Linda, how would you feel about that?

We add a section to the grant for ongoing administrative support, 10k. That
will be part of the fee we pay to the lawyer. (We're on the hook for that $$
if the grant does not come through.) He would have to wait to get paid until
afterwards, which is a risk for him.

Russ, could you ask your lawyer friend if he has time to do this right now?
And how long would it take for him to do it?

I wish I were a lawyer so I could do it!!

Thanks, Rory, for the intel.

Deirdre

On Aug 9, 2015, at 2:06 PM, roryphoenix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Deirdre,

My friend says the most important constraint is not how much money we are
seeking -- it's whether or not we are 501c3. It's clear he won't go beyond
that, so we just need to get that status FAST.
Rory

On Sat, 8 Aug 2015 22:34:36 -0400, Deirdre McClure <dmcclure@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Ok, thanks.

Deirdre

On Aug 8, 2015, at 9:04 PM, roryphoenix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
This is good. I fixed the typos, but removed the paragraph seeking
funding to achieve the 501c3, since my friend made it clear there could
be no grant/gift until we attained that status. I lowered the total to
$175,000. I sent it off to him with some words about wanting his
reaction, making it clear this is just a dry run trying to gauge his
reaction. > Rory
On Fri, 07 Aug 2015 10:17:03 -0400, Deirdre McClure
<dmcclure@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
thoughts?
This is a rough draft. > > >