Re: [PCWorks] Repairing XP pro

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin-OrpheusComputing.com & ComputersCustomBuilt.com" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 05:46:27 -0600

I would think it would happen more than just "seldom".  But at
any rate, IE6 or IE7, contrary to what M$ and other sites claim
you WILL lose data when doing a repair!  I know I posted
something on this but I can't find the post now.  A while back
I had to do a repair and LUCKILY I DID backup everything.  It's
a good thing I did because what essentially happens is a
reformat but with your email intact!  "My Documents" was wiped
out, all drivers, all custom settings and tweaks for XP, and
all custom settings for any programs, only a couple of programs
still worked but still lost their settings, and OE was totally
empty plus put back to default, and the email had to be
imported back in.  I think the only reason that happened and
the emails were not lost is because the store was not in the
default location!  You also lose any M$ updates installed.

I wasted more time trying to figure out which programs TOTALLY
worked, and other BS that it would have been quicker just to do
a real reformat.  I believe you mentioned Hugh that you have
slipstreamed CD with the updates on it, that's a big time-saver
there.  I made an XP Pro SP2 slipstreamed CD, but no updates
because you never know when M$ is going to withdraw a buggy or
screwed up update and replace it with another.

Is the slipstreamed CD with the updates made the same way as
one without the updates?  If not, do you have the info on how
to do that?  (For those that don't know, a "slipstreamed" CD is
good if you only have an XP or XP SP1 CD.  You create a new CD
with SP2 on it and it seamlessly integrates with the install
just as before without SP2.  That way you install the CD as
usual but don't have to install SP2).
-Clint

God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner