Re: [PCWorks] Lag on dial-up

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 01:36:00 -0600

Is a firewall being used?

Last time I saw svchost acting like that it was malware.  You
need to run a scan with everything you can, in particular the
free anti-malware products from a-Squared and MalwareBytes.
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/download/
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/
"a-Squared Free", "HiJackFree", and "Anti-Dialer" have found
things all others have missed.  One of those, I can't remember
which, has a rather complicated left menu where you can select
a bunch of different areas.  It's not a "scanner", it will tell
you about all the open ports and what's accessing them.  I
THINK, think, it's either HiJackFree or Anti-Dialer.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php has also found things
others have missed.

The DNS client usually isn't needed.  You can shut it down, set
it to manual and see what happens.
-Clint

Happy Thanksgiving to all & God Bless,
Clint Hamilton, Owner