Re: [PCWorks] Converter/adapter from parallel printer port to USB port

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 08:57:38 -0600

Although I never tested it, I don't see how USB1.1 and 2.0
would come into play with printers.  Now it would/could of
course get larger amounts of data to the printer faster, but I
would think that would irrelevant because once a printer
receives any data it starts to print, and can only print at its
max speed which is far far slower than 1st generation USB.
Interestingly, my USB photo printer has both USB 2.0 and 1.1
ports.  (Generally) A USB 2.0 device will work in a USB 1.1
port (at 1.1 speeds of course), and a USB 1.1 device will work
in a USB 2.0 port (again, at 1.1 speeds).  But that could be
for certain USB cards or mobo's that are either for what ever
reason not compatible with the other port.  The next time I
need to print something I'm going to try the USB 1.1 port and
see what happens.

( >By the way, you haven't really lived until
>you've heard a Southerner talk
>about FaaaWaaa. I love it.)

(And another BTW, I was born and raised [for the most part] in
Louisiana, and at an early age I was often offended by how
"southerners" were portrayed in the media, on TV and movies.
After attending some early school in Denver, CO and Dayton, OH,
and getting some "strange looks" at times when I spoke, I
decided at an early age to always speak "proper".  When people
in other parts of the country hear me speak, they always say
something like "You don't sound like you were born and raised
in Louisiana".  So for me it's always been "firewire" instead
of "faaaawaaa", "oil" instead of "all or "awl", "night" instead
of "niiiiiiiiiiite", etc.  Unfortunately for southerners, when
others hear that kind of "southern accent", it's most often
associated with natural moronic behavior and a very low IQ.
While I have been known to exhibit some "moronic behavior",
it's been by CHOICE and premeditation......ROTFLMAO. :-D).
-Clint

God Bless,
Clint Hamilton, Owner
http://www.OrpheusComputing.com
http://www.ComputersCustomBuilt.com
http://www.OrpheusComputing.com/cheap_reliable_web_hosting.html
http://www.OrpheusComputing.com/PCworks-computer-help-email-list.html

From: "David Grossman"

I'd like to share a recent experience.

I didn't want to get rid of my ancient HP LaserJet 6L when I
bought my new
computer, but the new motherboard does not have a parallel
port.

I think I can picture the story behind eliminating the parallel
ports in the
new motherboards. The big boss at Intel probably said, "I
bought a new USB
printer, so now everybody else has to buy one too." At the same
time, the VP
of Intel's Scratch My Back and I'll Scratch Yours Department
made a deal
with HP and Epson: "For every new board we sell, we'll make
them buy another
printer from you."

I searched for and bought a Centronix bidirectional to USB 1284
adapter
cable for about $9.

My new adapter cable may also be useful for those who want to
use their
parallel port for a different printer, or for those who want to
reserve the
parallel port for one of the older Zip drives, without using a
switch box or
print server.

Setting up this cable is NOT for the faint of heart. There is
no
documentation for the cable - not even in the the
manufacturer's pathetic
website.

If any of you would like to use a similar converter cable, let
me offer you
some tips.

Your computer has different kinds of USB ports (depending on
whether it is
connected directly to the motherboard or with an extra internal
cable or
connection). Your new USB/Parallel cable works better with the
stronger
connections. In a desktop computer, those strong connections
are in the
back.

Before installing your printer, plug in the cable, and let it
install.
That's right, the cable itself has to install before you can
install the
printer. You can watch the installation progress on the bottom
of your
Windows screen.

Next, set your wizard for a virtual USB printer port. (Aha.
It's a VIRTUAL
port. That explains how a parallel printer can work on a serial
port!).

Let the computer check Windows Update for a recent version of
your printer
driver.

Windows Update may make a mistake (it did for me) and suggest
that I update
other Windows components instead of my printer. Deal with it.

Your printer may not work the first time you set it up. Or the
second time.
Or the third time. Or the XXth time. Keep trying. Cancel your
appointments.
Tell your guests to go away. You'll be able to set it up
eventually.

Save the tips in this email. They are the only documentation
you will ever
find for this kind of cable.

David Grossman