Re: [PCWorks] Computer runs incredibly slow!

  • From: "Ben Moore" <benmoore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 15:57:35 -0400

Try opening the task manager.  Right click on the task bar and chose task
manager.  Look processes tab.  See if any program is sucking up your CPU
cycles.  System idle process should be up above 90 if nothing major is
running of your computer.  All the rest of the processes should be 0 or a
very low number.  If you find one that is taking up too much.  Write back to
the list and we will try to figure out what to do.

If  you don't see anything, try and figure out what was installed recently
through the automatic updates.  Did you just do critical updates or did you
do all of them including hardware?  If you go to the windows update site and
click on "Review your update history" you can see what you recently
installed.  I would look first for hardware updates.  Never let Microsoft
install a hardware update for your computer.   I haven't read of any
problems with the latest round of critical updates but  I would try
uninstalling them one at a time to see if you can find the problem.  You can
uninstall the software updates through add/remove programs in the control
panel.

Ben Moore