Re: [PCWorks] Computer runs incredibly slow!

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 04:43:05 -0600

Programs > Administrative Tools > Services.  Then drag a
shortcut from it to your Quick Launch toolbar.

It's not just the Spooler Service, that's just an example of
one.  Some of those things running are Services.  The Spooler
Service MUST be started in order to print anything.  So if you
don't do much printing, keep it set to Manual, then when you
want to print something just go to it in the list and click
"Start service" at the left pane. Then after printing you can
shut it down the same way, or just stop it in the Task Manager
(it's listed as "spoolsv.exe" in the Task Manager).

Still another example is "Windows Image Acquisition", (which is
one of those "svchost.exe" entries).  This MUST be started in
order to scan something.  If you do a lot of daily scanning,
then you may want to consider putting that on Automatic.
Otherwise, leave it DISABLED, because it's one of the services
that WILL run all the time when set to Manual.  Then when you
need to scan something, just put it on Manual and manually
start it.  Then stop the service (left pane area), then set
back to disabled.

Messenger will also have to be disabled that way.

Any ATI video card associated services can been set to Disabled
or Manual, because they are not needed.  In my case for
example, I have two Services for my ATI AIW; "Ati HotKey
Poller" (which is C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe, you have
that one running and shown in your list below), and "ATI Smart"
(C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe), I have neither on
Automatic.  You also have the control panel icon in the System
Tray which is not needed.  Any video card properties can be
accessed by right clicking the Desktop > Properties > Settings
 > then also under "Advanced".

If you ever get any message about some "Service" not being
available, or not being able to be started, just go to the
Services area, find the item, and then you can do the
appropriate thing to it.

If something is running and is NOT a Service, you can disable
them from loading by either opening them up and going into any
Options or Settings in them and disabling their loading with
Windows, or by running MSCONFIG then under the Startup tab,
then uncheck the boxes.  Sometimes, BOTH methods must be done
for things that INSIST on loading with Windows.  Msconfig is
really annoying: you don't have to immediately restart after
unchecking/checking any boxes there, but when you do restart,
it will open up each time and you have to always close out of
it!  Be sure and check the box you see when it opens up.  And,
each time you open it up again and change something, it's going
to popup again and you'll have to close it again the same way.

There is no book that covers everything. ;-)

Don't put HJT on the Desktop, unless it's just a shortcut,
because where ever it resides that's where it's going to put
it's backup folder and logs.  So your Desktop is going to have
those on it.  I don't know why your "Scan" button is grayed
out.  All I do is click "Scan" when I open it, then check items
to either fix, or ignore.  I THINK, (since I can't check it now
because I have nothing to add to the ignore list), that after
that you have to go back to "Main menu" then do the scan again.

Some of what you're asking and need to know is in a ReadMe file
I recently made for a rather newbie PC customer.  So you should
read it since some of it pertains to you.  (But of course some
of it will NOT pertain to you).  Just put that URL on one line
to make it clickable.  (I don't want to make the actual link
clickable because when I remove it the bots will be throwing
404 "not found" error codes for it).
http://www.orpheuscomputing.com/
downloads/ReadMe!.rtf
-Clint

God Bless,
Clint Hamilton, Owner
http://www.OrpheusComputing.com/Thanksgiving-sales-specials.html
http://www.ComputersCustomBuilt.com
http://www.OrpheusComputing.com/cheap_reliable_web_hosting.html

From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin"

I went down to the list below, edited it, put them in
groups, and see my notes I added:

From: "James Powell"

Clint, I have pasted my processes below. When I ran
appwiz.cpl I got the same message as when I tried to open
Add/Remove:

An exception occured while trying to run "shell32.dll,
Control_Rundll
"C:\windows\system32\appwiz.cpl (or Add / Remove Program)

I tried the Microsoft update site again and this time it is
showing my previous updates.

I will post the results of Hijack this tomorrow.

Thanks,

jim

===================================

System Information report written at: 11/07/09 14:57:31

[Running Tasks]

1. YOU STILL HAVE WINDOWS UPDATE RUNNING:

wuauclt.exe c:\windows\system32\wuauclt.exe

-----------------------------------

2. THESE ARE OK AND NEEDED:

smss.exe c:\windows\system32\smss.exe
winlogon.exe c:\windows\system32\winlogon.exe
services.exe c:\windows\system32\services.exe
lsass.exe c:\windows\system32\lsass.exe
svchost.exe c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe
svchost.exe c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe
svchost.exe c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe
explorer.exe c:\windows\explorer.exe
*csrss.exe Not Available Not Available
*svchost.exe Not Available 2004 8 Not Available Not Available
*svchost.exe Not Available 276 8 Not Available Not Available
*svchost.exe Not Available Not Available Not Available Not
*svchost.exe Not Available 936 8 Not Available Not Available

*Those 5 look strange with all those "Not Available" after
them. I don't have "Not Available" after them on my PC.
You should look into that to see if that's normal.

-----------------------------------

3. THIS ONE IS OK...

wmiprvse.exe Not Available 2540 8 Not Available Not Available
wmiprvse.exe Not Available 2088 8 Not Available Not Available

...but it/they should NOT be running all the time, so check
that. Also note it's another one with the "Not Available".

-----------------------------------

4. THESE ARE OK, AND IT'S OK THEY ARE RUNNING IF, IF,
YOU HAD THEM OPEN AT THE TIME:

(longhorn_ie8_rtm(wmbla).090308-0339)
iexplore.exe c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe
iexplore.exe c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe
iexplore.exe c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe
firefox.exe c:\program files\mozilla firefox\firefox.exe
taskmgr.exe c:\windows\system32\taskmgr.exe
helpctr.exe c:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\helpctr.exe
helpsvc.exe c:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\helpsvc.exe

I don't know what longhorn_ie8 is, unless that's a form of IE8,
which would seem to mean you had FireFox, IE6/7 AND IE8
open at the same time. (The last two are part of MSinfo).

-----------------------------------

5. ALL OF THESE ARE OK, BUT YOU DON'T NEED THEM
RUNNING ALL THE TIME:

These are for your ATI video card (or video chipset) and don't
need to be running:

ati2evxx.exe c:\windows\system32\ati2evxx.exe
ati2evxx.exe c:\windows\system32\ati2evxx.exe
atiptaxx.exe c:\program files\ati technologies\ati control
panel\atiptaxx.exe

I don't understand why you need 6 AVG associated processes
running. So look into that. Look up each of these and see
what they actually do to find out if you can disable them:

avgwdsvc.exe c:\progra~1\avg\avg8\avgwdsvc.exe
avgrsx.exe c:\progra~1\avg\avg8\avgrsx.exe
avgnsx.exe c:\progra~1\avg\avg8\avgnsx.exe
avgemc.exe c:\progra~1\avg\avg8\avgemc.exe
avgcsrvx.exe c:\program files\avg\avg8\avgcsrvx.exe
avgtray.exe c:\progra~1\avg\avg8\avgtray.exe

You don't need anything from Nero running UNTIL you need to
record something:

incdsrv.exe c:\program files\nero\nero 7\incd\incdsrv.exe
nbhgui.exe c:\program files\nero\nero 7\incd\nbhgui.exe
incd.exe c:\program files\nero\nero 7\incd\incd.exe
mssysmgr.exe c:\progra~1\nero\data\xtras\mssysmgr.exe
nmbgmonitor.exe c:\program files\common
files\ahead\lib\nmbgmonitor.exe
lssrvc.exe c:\program files\common files\lightscribe\lssrvc.exe
nmindexingservice.exe c:\program files\common
files\ahead\lib\nmindexingservice.exe
nmindexstoresvr.exe c:\program files\common
files\ahead\lib\nmindexstoresvr.exe
http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Software_Utilities/Disable_Nero_Scout_in_Nero_7.html

This (Spooler Service) can be on Manual until you want to print
something, then you can start it manually:

spoolsv.exe c:\windows\system32\spoolsv.exe

Java, again it too doesn't need to be running to see Java:

jqs.exe c:\program files\java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
jusched.exe c:\program files\java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe

These are running because you have M$'s Windows Defender
real-time protection running:

msmpeng.exe c:\program files\windows defender\msmpeng.exe
msascui.exe c:\program files\windows defender\msascui.exe

Nothing related to WinZip needs to be running:

wzqkpick.exe c:\program files\winzip\wzqkpick.exe

These are apparently for an Intel wireless NIC/LAN, so find out
if they must be running. I can't imagine why SIX would be
needed:

regsrvc.exe c:\program files\intel\wireless\bin\regsrvc.exe
zcfgsvc.exe c:\program files\intel\wireless\bin\zcfgsvc.exe
ifrmewrk.exe c:\program files\intel\wireless\bin\ifrmewrk.exe
evteng.exe c:\program files\intel\wireless\bin\evteng.exe
s24evmon.exe c:\program files\intel\wireless\bin\s24evmon.exe
wlkeeper.exe c:\program files\intel\wireless\bin\wlkeeper.exe

You shouldn't need anything from OpenOffice running all the
time:

soffice.exe c:\program files\openoffice.org
3\program\soffice.exe
soffice.bin c:\program files\openoffice.org
3\program\soffice.bin

You DEFINITELY want Messenger disabled if you don't use it!

msmsgs.exe c:\program files\messenger\msmsgs.exe

-----------------------------------

6. THESE ARE THE ONES YOU NEED TO LOOK UP AND
FIND OUT IF THEY ARE LEGIT AND NECESSARY TO BE
RUNNING ALL THE TIME:

wltrysvc.exe c:\windows\system32\wltrysvc.exe
bcmwltry.exe c:\windows\system32\bcmwltry.exe
scardsvr.exe Not Available 360 8 Not Available Not Available
nicconfigsvc.exe c:\program
files\dell\quickset\nicconfigsvc.exe
pwiutilityservice.exe c:\program files\sprint\pantech\sprint
mobile broadband (pantech)\pwiutilityservice.exe
quickset.exe c:\program files\dell\quickset\quickset.exe
wltray.exe c:\windows\system32\wltray.exe
apoint.exe c:\program files\apoint\apoint.exe
rslistener.exe c:\program files\regserve\rslistener.exe
ctfmon.exe c:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe
hidfind.exe c:\program files\apoint\hidfind.exe
apntex.exe c:\program files\apoint\apntex.exe
dlg.exe c:\program files\digital line detect\dlg.exe
inihid.exe c:\program files\initio\ez-dub finder
v1.3.45\inihid.exe

Again, when you look up something, that means BOTH on a search
engine, AND on your HD to make sure it's what it says it is,
because malware can have the same name as legit files, that's
one way they "hide" themselves.

--- On Sat, 11/7/09, Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin

From: Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin
<PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [PCWorks] Computer runs incredibly slow!
To: pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Saturday, November 7, 2009, 3:27 AM

"System Idle Process" is normal at 97-99%.

I don't understand the Windows Update error message nor the
Add/Remove Programs error message. But as for the latter, put
this in the Run command and see what happens: appwiz.cpl

Have you checked for malware? Have you run HiJackThis, SpyBot,
etc., etc.? HJT will probably find something.
http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/

Put this in a search engine, it's a pretty common problem:
fix Add Remove programs Exception RUNDLL error

Registry cleaners are always going to say you have thousands of
errors. It's a big mistake to allow them to clean EVERYTHING.
You don't have to pay for it because you can just look at the
list and investigate each one, then fix it manually if it
REALLY needs to be fixed. When there are thousands, you
usually have a option to only show certain types. So you
disable the showing of things like files missing, shared DLL's,
missing shortcuts, which will narrow the list down a lot.

67 Processes running is an OUTRAGEOUS amount. No doubt either
your System Tray is loaded with things you don't need all the
time, or they are just simply running in the background without
any icons in the System Tray. You need to find out what each
of these are: search for them on your HD, then look at the
properties of each one to see if it's needed. You probably
also have numerous Services running that don't need to be
running.

To restore with ERUNT, just go to the ERUNT folder and click
the executable file in the appropriately dated folder.

Go to Folder Options and under the View tab check the box "Show
hidden files and folders" AND UNCHECK "Hide protected OS
files". Search your HD for $ (yes, dollar sign), right click a
bare spot in the search results and "Arrange icons by" > Type,
then look at all the folders for "uninstall" in their name. If
you're lucky one of those is the update that possibly caused
it.

About HJT, don't let it fix anything unless you KNOW about it.
Run it and save the log and you can post it to the list.

You need to find a way to get a list of all processes running
and post that. There are programs that do that, but I can't
remember any of them now right off hand. But for now you could
get screenshots of the list in the Task Manager, upload them at
http://tinypic.com/ and post the URL's here. Here's one way:
at the Run command paste msinfo32.exe, go to "Software
Environment" then "Running tasks", then under "File" in the
toolbar, "Export", then post that.

I don't know anything about Mac's. ;-)

http://www.OrpheusComputing.com/computers/specials.html

From: Ben Moore

Try opening the task manager. Right click on the task bar and
chose task
manager. Look processes tab. See if any program is sucking up
your CPU
cycles. System idle process should be up above 90 if nothing
major is
running of your computer. All the rest of the processes should
be 0 or a
very low number. If you find one that is taking up too much.
Write back to
the list and we will try to figure out what to do.

If you don't see anything, try and figure out what was
installed recently
through the automatic updates. Did you just do critical updates
or did you
do all of them including hardware? If you go to the windows
update site and
click on "Review your update history" you can see what you
recently
installed. I would look first for hardware updates. Never let
Microsoft
install a hardware update for your computer. I haven't read of
any
problems with the latest round of critical updates but I would
try
uninstalling them one at a time to see if you can find the
problem. You can
uninstall the software updates through add/remove programs in
the control
panel.

Ben Moore