-=PCTechTalk=- Re: wyatt Re: Glad to be back

  • From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <nunyabidness6@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 12:48:41 -0500

We're having a bonfire with the remainders.  I burned the small brush that
I didn't have room for in front already.  I saved a part of every tree that
went down for the bonfire.  I also saved a reasonable piece of heartwood
from each to carve/use later in remembrance.  My Gran'pap cut wood for a
living and for heat from the time he was 12 (1910) till he was no longer
able to at 89.  I have a very real respect for trees and a sort of awe when
it comes to their life and time on earth.

It was sad to read the story of the big one in back.  It struggled very
early and had hard times through about its first 30 years.  After that,  it
had nice, tight rings and no blemishes until the end.  An educated guess at
the age places it at slightly before or at the same time the house was
built.  Damned shame to see it go.  The one in front is the same, although
I can't tell until it's a stump how it fared.  From the looks of it, it was
a right stout tree before the house was even built.

On 8/2/2003 at 9:53 PM a whisper was heard, and the one known as Faythe &
Al was rumoured to have uttered....

> [...]
          |  electric ... we did have that coverage, and the weird thing is
          |  I had called my agent that year before renewal & asked him to
          |  remove it.. figured I'd never use it... but there was a heat
          |  wave during this time & we also had a chest freezer. the
          |  charge wasn't removed, so I was still covered & they replaced
          |  the stuff I had. I had to list every item & then get a price
          |  from the grocery store for each item , they never questioned
          |  my amount, close to $100 i think??? but I suppose they figured
          |  with the big chest freezer I could of had a side of beef or
          |  something in there ... and I always submit stuff like this
          |  carefully.. not worth getting an extra 5 dollars & then have
          |  them cancel your coverage for suspect of fraud .
          |  Yes the trees & landscaping are a major part of the
          |  attractiveness & salability of a house ... but I also learned
          |  the hard way... you have to have a rider for special
          |  ornamental trees , ect & they charge big bucks for that ....
          |  Glad someone could remove the wood & use it, saved you some
          |  money. we are in a rural area, so we did alot of burning ...
          |  hubby likes to have campfires in the yard to sit by.... but it
          |  wasn't worth the expense or the loss of 3 huge shade giving
          |  trees ! we really feel the difference in the heat held in the
          |  house now that those shade trees are gone.
          |  Hubby had heart surgery in January & wasn't feeling well that
          |  July before, so was to pooped to cut up & move our trees, so
          |  we had to pay... oh wellll, at least no one was hurt !
          |  Faythe
          |
          |  >>>>The food was our fault.  We overlooked that on the policy.
          |   The trees are
          |  mostly removed now, we'll grind the stumps later.  We lucked
          |  out and three
          |  guys cut the biggest parts up in return for the firewood.
          |  They said they
          |  might be interested in doing the same for the remainder of the
          |  last big
          |  one, half of which is still standing and still of considerable
          |  size.  Even
          |  still, we spent all day cutting and carrying tops and have a
          |  pile of
          |  branches in front of the house about 15' X 30' and about 8'
          |  high.  By
          |  tomorrow it will be larger, but we'll be done with the back
          |  and side yards.
          |
          |  By rights the trees were a valuable part of the property and
          |  they should
          |  have given something for them on either removal or landscape
          |  value, but,
          |  it's not worth it to fight over it.
          |
          |  On 8/2/2003 at 12:20 AM a whisper was heard, and the one known
          |  as Faythe &
          |  Al was rumoured to have uttered....
          |
          |            |  we found that out too, that they do not cover
          |            |  anything to do with trees or
          |            |  removal... after the lightning struck it hit our
          |  1 & only oak
          |            |  tree bounced
          |            |  onto the roof & fried that (good thing it had

8/1/2003