-=PCTechTalk=- Re: virus question

  • From: "~OoO~" <SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 12:32:33 -0400

Check the headers and make sure its your email addy first of all.
Second... many viruses will send out copies of themselves and address them from
an email addy on that person's address book. In other words, if you're listed
in my address book, and I have that type of virus, it will send the virus out
to people on my address book, and rather than saying its from me, it will put
you (who's one of the folks on my address book) as the sender. I'm the real
sender, but its spoofing the sender's address (very easy to do). But, when it
bounces, it won't be me that gets the bounce, it would be the sender (or who it
thinks the sender is)... in this case you.

This is what's probably happening. If you're getting nasty letters from people,
I would just ignore them, unless its someone you know... in which case you'd
probably want to tell them its not you sending it.

Also... you can see in the header some info indicating its coming from another
person. Check the IP its originating from, and you should see its not your IP
or possibly not even your ISP's IP block (unless the true sender has the same
ISP).

Hope this helps.

---Troth