-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Belkin 4 port DSL router

  • From: "~OoO~" <SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 12:55:36 -0400

Ok... let's go through all the basics.

First of all, make sure the connections are right. The DSL line coming in
from the wall should be going to the DSL modem. From the DSL modem, you
should have the cable going to the router's WAN port. It should say WAN or
INTERNET, or both. Make sure that part is connected correctly. If not,
correct that and do all the prior steps of shutting down and resetting
everything. Once you know everything is connected correctly, we'll continue
to the next step.

Ok.. now, you should have a network cable going from the router's PORT 1 to
the computer. Yes, you should be able to use any of the ports, but for this
instance we want to use PORT 1 in back of the router. Also, in the event
that you're using PORT 4, I believe that one is used as an uplink port
should you need it. So, just better to use PORT 1 for the moment untill we
get things working.

If all the connections are correct, you should be seeing the WAN LED on, and
the PORT 1 LED on.

Next... where you put in your name/password info...

DSL connections with PPPoE connections (which is what you have) require the
name and password everytime you connect. We know that already. However, how
its put in differs from ISP to ISP. Whatever your account name is, try it
both with and without the "@" and ISP domain. In other words, try
"MYNAME@xxxxxxx" and try just "MYNAME" without the "@ISP.COM". Regardless of
how you do it outside the router, before you had the router, try it both
ways anyway.

Even though you put the PPPoE info in, make sure that there's not another
screen in the setup where you need to indicate that you log on with PPPoE.

If you're still having the problem, and if you haven't already done so,
disconnect the router and try connecting without it, just to make sure the
ISP isn't the one that's down.

On another note, and one I can help with, the ISP may be binding your
connection to your computer's NIC MAC address. I don't know how to fix
that... BUT, the instructions for your router is saying to clone the MAC
address. Check to see if you any options in the settings indicating to clone
your MAC address. If you do, and its this binding that's causing the
problem, this should fix it.

Also... check to make sure Windows XP built-in firewall (assuming you're
using XP) is off.

One more thing... if you haven't done so already, go onto the Belkin site
and see if there's a FIRMWARE upgrade. Most likely there is, and upgrading
it might fix some issues your router might have with specific modems and/or
ISPs.

When responding... let me know who your ISP is.

Let us know what happens.

---Troth