-=PCTechTalk=- Re: speaking of hard drives... SATA adapter?

  • From: ~OoO~ <SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 11:39:10 -0400

SATA is Serial ATA... its supposed to be the hottest new protocol to=20
replace the current IDE. Its faster, smaller and handles much better.=20
Forget about the 40-pin IDE cables we currently use. SATA uses 7-pin, so=20
you can imagine how much smaller and thinner the wire is. And, there's no=20
MASTER/SLAVE crap anymore. One cable, one device. Although, I'm not sure=20
how you connect multiple devices. I think it may be daisy chained?!?! But,=
=20
the point is that its faster and makes the inside of your system so much=20
more neater. Problem is, SATA devices are more expensive... BUT, the prices=
=20
are steadily dropping as SATA begins to become mainstream.

If you can get a board with SATA ports, that's good. Although, unless=20
you're ready to pay more for only SATA drives, I would look for a mobo that=
=20
has the two IDE controllers on the board, and MAYBE an additional SATA=20
port. Or, at the very least, you can always buy a PCI SATA controller.=20
Point is... I would still stick to IDE... unless you want to pay more for=20
faster hard drives and neater interior. Don't get hooked up on the speed,=20
though. You probably won't notice the drive speed difference.

Here's more info on SATA:
http://www.ata-atapi.com/sata.htm

---Troth