-=PCTechTalk=- Re: speaking of hard drives... SATA adapter?

  • From: "suzanne" <lailoken@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 10:58:20 -0500

thanks for the info Sir T... but I know what SATA is   =)   and I do have 2
SATA controllers on my new board... the reason why I am asking about
adapters is that I have 3 hard drives that I want to hook up, besides my
cd-rom and cdrw... with only 2 IDE controllers, I am one hard drive short,
without utilising SATA... and was wondering if anyone out there has any
experience with the SATA adapters for IDE drives.

~s

----- From: "~OoO~" <SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

: SATA is Serial ATA... its supposed to be the hottest new protocol to=20
: replace the current IDE. Its faster, smaller and handles much better.=20
: Forget about the 40-pin IDE cables we currently use. SATA uses 7-pin,
so=20
: you can imagine how much smaller and thinner the wire is. And, there's
no=20
: MASTER/SLAVE crap anymore. One cable, one device. Although, I'm not
sure=20
: how you connect multiple devices. I think it may be daisy chained?!?!
But,=
: =20
: the point is that its faster and makes the inside of your system so
much=20
: more neater. Problem is, SATA devices are more expensive... BUT, the
prices=
: =20
: are steadily dropping as SATA begins to become mainstream.
:
: If you can get a board with SATA ports, that's good. Although, unless=20
: you're ready to pay more for only SATA drives, I would look for a mobo
that=
: =20
: has the two IDE controllers on the board, and MAYBE an additional SATA=20
: port. Or, at the very least, you can always buy a PCI SATA controller.=20
: Point is... I would still stick to IDE... unless you want to pay more
for=20
: faster hard drives and neater interior. Don't get hooked up on the
speed,=20
: though. You probably won't notice the drive speed difference.
:
: Here's more info on SATA:
: http://www.ata-atapi.com/sata.htm