-=PCTechTalk=- Re: sound again- sorry

  • From: dktrfaustus@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 22:29:30 +0100

On 30 Jul 2005 at 19:49, Lyn Scott wrote:
> Hello Group,
> Sorry to be a pain but the sound has gone again. I checked System
> Info-tools-direct x diagnostic tool and it came  up with "DX diag
> error- problem getting extra sound info result code = 0x80070057
> (Invalid argument(s) ).  Who's arguing????

Hi, Lyn,

Unless I missed a post or two, I don't think you ever really detailed
the process of how your re-installed your drivers, or (critically) if
you removed the old driver beforehand. It sounds as though either a
conflict between the sound card and something else is taking place
(possibly even the old sound card driver) or a driver for the wrong
model was installed.

Regardless, if the thing is giving you this much trouble, you should
just consider buying a proper sound card. On-board systems are cheap,
nasty, and (as you've discovered) finicky to install.

Disable all existing sound card drivers in Device Manager, pop round
to a PC store and buy a new one, then plonk it in a free PCI slot on
your mainboard and Bob's your mother's brother. No more "CMediahell".

You probably won't need a top-quality card and there are some very
reasonably-priced options out there, but as always, the more you
spend, the fewer headaches you get...

Faustus