-=PCTechTalk=- Install W98 SE

  • From: "Sammi" <sammi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 13:35:52 -0600

Hi,

I have a Dell Dimension 400 MHz, 13 HD, 320 Ram, W98 First Edition, with a
second 90 G hard drive for storage. I need to back up my files on the
original drive that came with the computer, but my HP internal CD-RW (9700
series) isn't working. I am getting a new computer and it would be easier to
transfer many of my files by CD.

I ordered a Memorex external CD-RW but it is rated for W98 SE and I cannot
install even the software for it on this W98 FE system. I tried it anyway,
but got a message that I cannot install the driver necessary on this
computer.

I have an upgrade disc for W98 SE.

What I fear is that if I install that, I may lose my IE/OE6 email, and all
the settings for every program I have. I know that we are always told to
back everything up before an install like this...I would have backed
everything up on CDs if my CD-RW was working.

So I guess what my question really is will I risk losing anything/everything
if I just install this upgrade?

Worst case scenario would of course, be yes. Have any of you ever done this
without it resulting in a catastrophe? If I move the files that I can think
of that I will need, to my extra hard drive will that hard drive be affected
by the W98 SE upgrade?

TIA for any help you can give me.

Sammi