-=PCTechTalk=- Re: router/hub question

  • From: "Bashful Bob" <Bashfulbob@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 06:32:04 -0600

Hi
Just so we are standing on the same base.

A hub, powered or not, gets an incoming message and sends it out on all
ports to make sure the receiving computer gets it. The hub DOES NOT know
which port the receiving computer is on. In doing this ( I am going to keep
the math simple) lets say that your LAN speed is 100 MB and you have 5
computers attached to the hub. The speed that the message is sent out on
each port is the speed divided by the number of attached ports. So the speed
out each port in this example would be 20 MB.Quite a drop, but on a home
system this may be not to noticeable, depending on the number of computers
attached to the hub.

Whereas, if a switch was used, the switch keeps tables that tell it which
port the receiving computer is on, so the switch looks up the destination
address of the computer and that tells the switch which port to send the
message out on. Therefore the message goes out on one port ONLY and the full
speed of the LAN system is maintained. In other words, it is sent out the
port at a full 100 MB,

On a router, it would depend whether the back end is a switch or a hub. Be
sure to check if you purchase a router.

There are (in this case) two basic topologies for his home network system.

First is like Troth stated using a router. The computers are connected to
the router, the router connected to the modem (if the modem is not built in)
the modem connected to the telephone lines which connect to the ISP or the
Internet. Here you want to check if the software to run the router is
incorporated in the router or has to be loaded on a computer. Life will be
much simpler if the software is incorporated into the router.

Second Topology
All computers are connected to the switch. One computer is the gateway and
contains the modem (but the modem could be external) NIC cards are used in
the computers to connect to the switch. The modem (standard modem) in the
computer is then connected to the telephone lines. The other computers reach
the Internet and the other computers through setting up Microsoft Internet
connection sharing. So to summarize: The non gateway computers send a
message that goes to the switch and the switch sends that message to the
gateway which sends the message out through the modem to the Internet.
Sending a message to another computer on your network, the message goes to
the switch and the switch sends it out the port that the other computer is
on, NOT through the gateway computer unless that is the destination of the
message.

This is the type I originally had. It was Linksys network in a box. It comes
with a 10/100 MB switch and two NIC cards. The instructions for setting up
the topology and configuring the computers for Internet connection sharing
were pretty clear. Linksys used to offer life time help but I am not sure
they still do since they were bought out by Cisco. I operated with this
system for a couple of years with no problems.

If you have Xp, Xp will want to be the gateway and everything set up for it
(the boss of the network) with other OS's like 98, NT, Win2k being
subservient to it. You can do this with XP home, but I recommend you
consider XP PRO on the gateway.

One last thought, some providers have to have special routers to work on
there system, such as SBC and Verison (sp) to mention a couple. Check with
your ISP and/or telephone company.

If you go wired, be sure to add extra length required on the cables, to go
around the base of the wall, bookcases etc.

You can also go wireless (I don't recommend) or a combination if the layout
requires it.

Plan your network before you buy the equipment.

Hope this helps

Life is what happens in between plans.

Virus free email by Norton's
This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and/or entity to
confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
not the addressee, or authorized to receive this on behalf of the addressee,
you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose, or distribute
to anyone this message or any part thereof. If you have received this in
error, please immediately advise the sender by e-mail and delete this
information. Thank you