-=PCTechTalk=- Re: router/hub question

  • From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:28:43 -0500

No, it's not necessary but it is a good idea if you have a high speed
internet connection.  What a router typically has is a NAT firewall.
This stands for Network Address Translation and what it does is present
one IP address to the internet while hiding all of the IP addresses
behind it.  This creates a very large hurdle for anyone trying to get
into your system behind the router, since they will have no idea what
your system's IP address is.  Another advantage of the NAT firewall in
the router is that is can rarely be turned off by a malicious script,
whereas the AV and firewall programs that run on Windows have been shown
to be vulnerable to certain attacks that will render them inoperative.

I believe in layered protection, not putting all my eggs in one basket.
  So I would recommend a router for anyone with cable or DSL access.  It
would also be useful for dial-up but dial-up accounts are not appealing
targets.  The high speed accounts are what are appealing to the emailers
  because they can plant a bot and then send out thousands of emails
using your ISP.  IOW, the likelihood of being compromised with a dial-up
account is far less but the router would still be a good idea if you can
afford it.

Most routers sold today, if they have 4 or more ports, combine a switch
with the router.  The switch is like any standalone switch in that it
makes dedicated connections that operate at full speed between the
sending and receiving computers, thereby reducing collisions and leaving
the other ports free to send and receive data.  With the price and
availability of switches, and routers with built-in switches, I can't
think of a reason to use a hub anymore.

Tom