-=PCTechTalk=- Re: problems with new CD-RW drive

  • From: "~OoO~" <SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 15:01:46 -0400

First of all, if you haven't done so already, try uninstalling and reinstalling
NERO. Then, if you still have the same problem, we investigate it a bit
further. First of all, you say it stops consistently at 51%. Just make sure
that where it crashes is at the WRITE process, as the software sometimes does a
pre-write (or testing) phase. If its in the write-phase, we move on to the next
step.
Try copying files by doing a drag-n-drop, which can be done with WinXP. In
other words, treat it exactly like a floppy. See if tat works.

If you have a blank CD-RW (not a CD-R) try formatting it. Purpose of this, of
course, is to see if its just NERO or other burning processes. Also, using
NERO, try copying another CD, one that doesn't take up the entire CD. If you
look at the blank CD, underneath where you can see the dye, you should see a
color difference amongst the written-on areas and the non-written areas. See if
this is the same spot on all the bad CD's where it freezes at 51%. We're
basically checking to see if maybe the head (or laser) that writes to the CD is
damaged or defective, and it could be freezing when it gets to the point on the
CD where it can't burn further.

Another test... download a trialware or shareware burning software, and see if
those allow you to copy. YOu can download a trial copy of CloneCD. Just search
Google for CloneCD (can't remember the URL). See if you can copy using that.

Last resort should be maybe trying to install the drive in another system and
seeing if it works. If it works, we then know its your system. If you get the
exact same problem, the drive may be the culprit.

---Troth