-=PCTechTalk=- Re: pctechtalk mods

  • From: BIG MARC <bigmarctech@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 23:44:12 -0500

I just check in my "ARCHIVES" but back to 12/12/2005 nothing from
''FAUSTUS'' up to that day,,
BIGMARC
========
by the way, the oldest email I have , is from KBC, and may be he remember:
===============
The Keyboard Cowboy à Computer, PCTechTalk
afficher les détails 12/12/05 Répondre

Some helpful definitions..........
A computer "virus" is "a self-replicating program that spreads by inserting
copies of itself into other executable code or documents. A computer virus
behaves in a way similar to a biological virus, which spreads by inserting
itself into living cells. Extending the analogy, the insertion of a virus
into the program is termed as an infection, and the infected file (or
executable code that is not part of a file) is called a host." A virus
usually depends on humans as the transmission vector: People sharing
infected files online or by email or by floppy.
A computer worm is a self-replicating computer program, similar to a
computer virus, but often capable of some degree of self-transmission; for
example, using the host computer's mail program to send itself out to other
PCs. Furthermore, while "... a virus attaches itself to, and becomes part
of, another executable program... a worm is self-contained and does not need
to be part of another program to propagate itself. They are often designed
to exploit the file transmission capabilities found on many computers."
A Trojan Horse is "malicious program that is disguised as legitimate
software." In fact, it may *be* a legitimate program, but one that also
contains a virus or a worm as its hidden "payload."
Spyware "covers a broad category of malicious software designed to intercept
or take partial control of a computer's operation without the informed
consent of that machine's owner or legitimate user. While the term taken
literally suggests software that surreptitiously monitors the user, it has
come to refer more broadly to software that subverts the computer's
operation for the benefit of a third party.... Spyware differs from viruses
and worms in that it does not usually self-replicate. Like many recent
viruses, however, spyware - by design - exploits infected computers for
commercial gain. Typical tactics furthering this goal include delivery of
unsolicited pop-up advertisements; theft of personal information (including
financial information such as credit card numbers); monitoring of
Web-browsing activity for marketing purposes; or routing of HTTP requests to
advertising sites."
"Malware" is a generic term simply meaning "malicious software." It's
nonspecific. Malware is any software that's deliberately harmful, including
(but not limited to) Trojans, worms, viruses, and spyware.

  Regards from
 Bob -- the "Keyboard Cowboy",
          ,,,,,,,,
         Ô¿Ô¬
 Cincinnati, Ohio - Scottsdale, Arizona
 Monday, 12/12/2005, @ 5:04:08 PM EST
 On golf.....
 Achieving a certain level of success in golf is only important if you can
finally enjoy the level you've reached after you've reached it.