-=PCTechTalk=- Re: old HP scanner problems

  • From: "recklessmaverick@xxxxxxxxxx" <recklessmaverick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 00:31:41 -0400

Look at the port where the power plugs into the scanner.  There may be a
voltage embossed in or printed on the case next to it.  It would look
something like  12vdc 1.5A or 120vac  3.0A.    If it is not present,
look in the instruction manual to see what the correct voltage is
supposed to be.

If the cord you are using has a wall wart or a transformer block then
look on it and find the output voltage and current.  If it is less than
what you found in the previous step, you have found a likely culprit.

If there is not a wall wart or transformer, then it uses 120vac and you
may have a bad cord or a bad power supply in the scanner.

There should be a part number on the cord somewhere.  Compare that
number to what the manual says it should be.  If they don't match, you
have a possible source of the problem

Your scanner is an older model.  Make sure you have the correct drivers
for the OS on your computer.  Also make sure you are using the latest or
at least a recent version of the software used by the scanner .  That
software typically comes bundled with the device and has probably been
upgraded and updated several times since the device was manufactured.

If none of this helps go to the support pages at HP.com and email or
chat with tech support about the problem.

Unless that scanner has a critical feature, I would not spend much money
on fixing it.  New AIO devices that are suitable for most home users can
be had for $50 or less at Walmart.

Don

cristy wrote:
> Sorry folks,
>
> Am reposting this with the proper Subject line.
>
> christy
>

>> I have an issue with an old HP scanner that is not working.  I do not know
>> why it is not working, it used to work fine.  I have always loved this
>> scanner and used it alot in the past.  I do not know how to get it fixed.
>> It appears the light may not be on all the way when scanning.  It acts
>> like
>> it is scanning but the photo is all dark, nothing there on the computer.
>> am not sure I have the original power cord that came with it, I may be
>> using
>> the wrong one but it cuts on with it so guess the power is ok.  It is an
>> HP
>> scanjet 3570.  I went to the HP site but I cannot figure out how to get
>> any
>> help on this.
>>
>> Any clues?
>>
>> thanks