-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Zone Alarm always rated low---Why???

  • From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <nunyabidness6@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 23:44:20 -0500

Yeah, think it was.  I thought you were going with Outpost?

On 8/21/2003 at 4:39 AM a whisper was heard, and the one known as Glo was
rumoured to have uttered....

          |  Wyatt, are you the person who once offered to
          |  help anyone to set up a
          |  firewall so that it would be most effective?  Once I get this
          |  cable problem
          |  solved (which I'll do by switching to DSL) I'll need to have a
          |  good
          |  firewall, thinking of Sygate or Kerio.  Someone on the list
          |  offered to help
          |  (off list), I think it was you (?)--Glo

          |  >           |
          |  >           |  > Some would disagree.
          |  >           |  >
          |  >           |  >
          |  http://www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20020412S0009
          |  >           |
          |  >           |  And your point is? A review from a year ago
          |  about a very
          |  >           |  outdated version of
          |  >           |  Zone Alarm shows us, what?
          |  >           |
          |  >           |
          |  >           |  > On 8/18/2003 at 4:36 AM a whisper was heard,
          |  and the one
          |  >           |  known as Grant
          |  >           |  > Karpik was rumoured to have uttered....
          |  >           |  >
          |  >           |  >           |  On 18 Aug 2003 at 6:54, David
          |  Weaver wrote:
          |  >           |  >           |
          |  >           |  >           |  > Well, unless they improved it,
          |  ZA will
          |  >           |  allowed hijacked
          |  >           |  >           |  packets out,
          |  >           |  >           |  > whereas Outpost won't.  And I
          |  know before
          |  you
          |  >           |  couldn't
          |  >           |  >           |  assign blocked
          |  >           |  >           |  > destinations by IP and/or
          |  protocol, in
          |  either
          |  >           |  the free or
          |  >           |  >           |  the paid.
          |  >           |  >           |  >
          |  >           |  >           |  > Zone Labs rested on its
          |  laurels too much,
          |  and
          |  >           |  now there's a
          |  >           |  >           |  better
          |  >           |  >           |  > firewall (IMHO).
          |  >           |  >           |  >
          |  >           |  >           |  > Dave
          |  >           |  >           |
          |  >           |  >           |
          |  >           |  >           |  Don't want to get into a 'mine's
          |  bigger/better
          |  >           |  than yours'
          |  >           |  >           |  match but the Zone Alarm of
          |  >           |  >           |  today isn't the Zone Alarm of
          |  yesterday. Seems
          |  >           |  to me that
          |  >           |  >           |  their's a fair bit of 'fud'
being
          |  >           |  >           |  spread on this subject over the
          |  last couple of
          |  >           |  days and folks
          |  >           |  >           |  might want to take
          |  >           |  >           |  everything that's been said
          |  about various
          |  >           |  software firewalls
          |  >           |  >           |  with a grain of salt and do a
          |  >           |  >           |  bit of research for themselves.
          |  >           |  >           |
          |  >           |  >           |  And that's all *I* have to say
          |  on the
          |  >           |  subject....
          |  >           |
          |  >           |
          |  >           |
          |  >           |
          |  >           |  To unsub or change your email settings:
          |  >           |  //www.freelists.org/webpage/pctechtalk
          |  >           |  To access our Archives:
          |  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PCTechTalk/messages/
          |  >           |  //www.freelists.org/archives/pctechtalk/