-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Firewalls

  • From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <nunyabidness6@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 00:22:39 -0500

Kerio is pretty much Tiny all over again.  Nothing wrong with it, but I
prefer Outpost.  Outpost is better for me because it also blocks active
content (scripts, cookies, ads, etc.), has email protection (a redundant
operation here, but good insurance), good logging (Sygate's logging is
better, but not much), and is able to block these things, if necessary, on
a site by site basis.  I set it up to block most everything and then
gradually allow the sites I sorta trust with to have as much or as little
Active Content as I want.

If you used Tiny, you should be used to a rules based firewall.  If you're
comfortable with learning new software, then I'd highly recommend Outpost.
If you don't care about content blocking, you can use Outpost still - just
do not block the active content and only use the firewall - or you can just
use Sygate for a pure firewall without content blocking.  These two I
recommend without reservation.

If you were happy with Tiny and don't care to learn a new firewall, I
believe Kerio is still supported and still free.  If you know how to make
the rules for it, it works fine and you won't miss Tiny much.  As I recall,
it is strictly rules and not application based at all, but it's been awhile
and I might be wrong about that.  With the right set of rules it's fine.

I cannot recommend Zone Alarm or McAfee's because they have caused problems
on a variety of machines and operating systems here and, frankly, I don't
believe McAfee's is that good.  Zone Alarm isn't very configurable and it
has known software issues.  It is okay if you can't get anything better.  I
also can't recommend Norton's, not because it isn't any good, but because
it's VERY pricey and is a huge resource hog.  It's also been known to have
software issues, but I have never encountered them.

Hope this helps.  The best firewall for you is one that you understand and
know how to use.  If you have a firewall that you have to actually turn off
from time to time to get something else to work, then that firewall is no
good.  A good firewall can be taught to allow what you want to allow and
block everything else - at the application level and at the port level and
won't interfere with any other part of your system.

I've noticed that people who try Outpost and learn how to use it properly
don't seem to go back to anything else.  I know I won't.

On 8/22/2003 at 5:01 PM a whisper was heard, and the one known as bay.tax
was rumoured to have uttered....