-=PCTechTalk=- Re: XP Media locking up only main user and update on "New Dell"

  • From: "GMan" <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 14:15:42 -0400

Terry,
    Now that you've somewhat isolated the problem, go back into MSCONFIG and
re-enable those processes you wish to continue to use one at a time.  Enable
one and reboot and then test to see if the problem has returned.  If not, go
back and enable another one and reboot and test.  If/When the problem
reappears, you've found the offending app and can check with the maker to
see if there's a known fix for it.

    I'm sorry to hear of your hard drive loss, but yes, you could probably
use the USB cable to transfer your old files to the new one.  Still, I
prefer to do it the old fashioned way (the same method that Cristy is
working on in another current thread).  It's not that it works any better.
It's just that I've found that there's less that can go wrong (Win98SE is
kinda shaky on USB).  Of course, I haven't tried the USB method for a while
and things may have improoved dramatically since then.  Still, Winodws won't
know the difference if you set up the old drive without actually screwing it
into the case (again, just like Cristy is doing with hers).  Just watch the
"Re: question about "My Way" program" for ideas on setting it up for the
transfer.        :O)

Peace,
GMan