-=PCTechTalk=- Re: XP Media locking up only main user and update on "New Dell"

  • From: "Terry from Montana" <wannalearn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 03:47:02 -0600

My virus scan was clean and I didn't know how a system restore
would help since it was only one user that had problems, so I
went into safe mode and msconfig and unchecked everything I
thought I either didn't need or could start manually...and
everything that said Dell in it--and apparently that did the
trick, it's working fine now and my antivirus and firewall still
start automatically, so I'm happy.  I guess I'll find out if
there is something that has to start up with the computer to
work, but so far so good.
Dell replaced my original hard drive, the one that kept losing
hal.dll, the tecs that replaced it came early so I didn't check
my backups and the backups did not work at all, they acted like
they were, even counted down the minutes left for copying, and I
don't have empty cd's (it says they are but they only have 120 or
300mb,etc. available),  but they are not readable, so I tried to
get the old drive back temporarily, 1st they said they had
already sent it back to Dell, then  Dell told me to get the
airbill # so they could possibly catch it when it came in, the
tecs then said they left the drive with me!  The tec that
actually worked for the computer repair place went into the
National Guard the day after they replaced it and they couldn't
even get ahold of him again, so one lost drive with all my info.
The replacement drive didn't work worth a crap either so they
FINALLY sent me a whole new computer.  This was the first problem
I had with it.  So the new computer I got on 12-27-2006 is
finally usable.  :-) only took 4+ months.
When I first got this, you were going to talk me through putting
my old computer's drive into the new one to get my files, I found
out from the tecs that this computer only has room for one drive.
From the  last Dell to this one I used a direct data link USB
cable and it worked great so if I can get the USB cable hooked up
to my old computer I should be able to get those files the same
way?  It's Win98 SE but the program for the direct link is
supposed to be compatible with both 98 and XP so just copying
files should work, right?
A great thing, the free backup program for Thunderbird and
Firefox, MozBackup-1.4.6 worked perfectly to get my emails,
settings, rules, firefox bookmarks, passwords, etc. transferred
onto the Final Dell.   It's a really great backup program,
doesn't take hardly any time at all and the TB backup was 27,806
KB, I really didn't think it took enough time to get all the
emails and I was
estatic when I opened it up after my "restore" and found
everything there.