-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Wireless

  • From: "Don101" <don101@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 09:47:53 -0400

For some reason most ISP email SMTP servers are very picky about how
you access them.  If you are not connected to the internet via an
account with the ISP that owns the server you will most likely not be
able to send email.  Receive, Yes.  Send, No.  That is why most ISPs
also offer a webmail interface.

I have not experienced that problem with gmail or Yahoo even though I
use POP and SMTP instead of the webmail interface.

This is most likely a security "feature" to help control spam.  Unless
I misunderstood earlier comments from Gman.

This is one reason I am moving away from my ISP email accounts.  I do
not like webmail interfaces and for the most part I want my email
stored on my computer not their server.

Don