-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Windows XP vs. Windows 2000

  • From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <nunyabidness6@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 17:25:30 -0500

This list is a good place for that help.  There are other good ones too.
I'll be glad to add my two cents when it suits.  I'm not a guru, but I have
managed to keep a good handful of computers running and reasonably secure
for the last several years - without reinstalls and without a lot of pricey
software.  If you have experience with 2000, then you're already accustomed
to NT type systems and you should be fine.

On 8/15/2003 at 8:03 AM a whisper was heard, and the one known as
stormy1@xxxxxxx was rumoured to have uttered....

          |  thank you for that bit of reassurance Wyatt.
          |  Since this is a totally new system with all new and current
          |  parts I'm going to go with the Windows XP home. I always have
          |  liked to keep current and now is now time to let uncertainty
          |  get the better of me! I also have been thinking of moving to
          |  Windows XP Pro on my own home machine since thats the OS that
          |  new comptuers are work are getting, which means I'll be forced
          |  to work with it within the next year anyway -- and I am
          |  licensed to have a copy of it at home as well.
          |
          |  Hopefully everything will go smoothly, but if not, I know
          |  where to come for help!!
          |
          |  Thanks again,
          |  ~Lacey~

          |  >          |
          |  >          |  I am setting up a senior couple friends of  mine
          |  with
          |  > a brand
          |  >          |  new
          |  >          |  computer -- we're about ready to plunk the money
          |  down
          |  > and have
          |  >          |  the computer
          |  >          |  place build it for them. Of course the standard
          |  OS
          |  > now is
          |  >          |  Windows XP home --
          |  >          |  which I've never used. Since I am going to be
          |  the
          |  > once called
          |  >          |  on to help
          |  >          |  them out whenever anything goes wrong I am
          |  getting really
          |  >          |  worried by all the
          |  >          |  troubles people are posting about their problems
          |  with
          |  > XP home.
          |  >          |  I have
          |  >          |  windows 2000 pro which I love -- I'm thinking I
          |  > should put
          |  >          |  that OS on their
          |  >          |  new computer instead.  I certainly don't need a
          |  whole
          |  > new set
          |  >          |  of headaches
          |  >          |  and if Windows XP Home is going to do that I'd
          |  rather
          |  > not.          |
          |  >          |  I also have access to Windows XP professional if
          |  that
          |  > makesany
          |  >          |  difference -- I could put that on there. They
          |  really
          |  > don't          |  mind paying the
          |  >          |  difference in cost just as long as it works for
          |  them
          |  > and as
          |  >          |  long as I will
          |  >          |  help them when they get stuck.
          |  >          |
          |  >          |  What do you all think?
          |  >          |
          |  >          |  Thanks,
          |  >          |  ~Lacey~
          |  >          |
          |  >          |  To unsub or change your email settings:
          |  >          |  //www.freelists.org/webpage/pctechtalk
          |  >          |  To access our Archives:
          |  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PCTechTalk/messages/
          |  >          |  //www.freelists.org/archives/pctechtalk/