-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Windows ME

  • From: "Scott" <millop69@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 16:25:54 -0700

Thanks so much Mike.
I tried your suggestion and when I couldn't make it work as you explained
it, I tried the link you supplied here and Microsoft says it is an
unavailable page. Oh well, I think the next best solution is to wipe and
reiinstall.
Thanks again, Scott.

How to Manually Restore the Windows 98/Me Registry
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=3Dkb;EN-US;q221512

Under normal circumstances, Windows is capable of detecting and recovering=
 from registry errors automatically. If Windows is incapable of this, a=
 previous copy of the registry can be restored manually. Windows makes and=
 stores a backup of the registry when you start your computer successfully=
 each day. By default, five previous copies or the registry are stored. To=
 restore one of these previous copies:

1/ Start your computer, press and hold CTRL, and then choose
'Safe Mode Command Prompt Only' from the Windows 98 Startup menu.
If you are running Windows Me, start your computer with the startup disk.

2/ At the MS-DOS prompt, type 'cd\windows\command' (without quote's),
and then press ENTER.
Where "windows" is the name of the folder in which Windows is installed.

3/ At the C: prompt, type 'scanreg /restore' , and then press ENTER.

4/ Select the previous registry you want to restore, and then press ENTER.
NOTE : A properly working registry has the word "Started" next to the date.=

5/ When you receive notification that you restored a properly working=
 registry, press ENTER to restart your computer.

Mike ~ one of the Moderators
It is a good day if I learned something new.
Editor MikesWhatsNews http://www.mwn.ca/