-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Windows ME

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 16:53:20 -0700

Hi Scott,
you may be able to use Registy Restore;

Be sure to back up your registry before making any changes!
Click Start, and select Run, then type in MSCONFIG and click OK.
In the 'General' tag, click 'Create Backup'.

---------------
How to Manually Restore the Windows 98/Me Registry
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=3Dkb;EN-US;q221512

Under normal circumstances, Windows is capable of detecting and recovering=
 from registry errors automatically. If Windows is incapable of this, a=
 previous copy of the registry can be restored manually. Windows makes and=
 stores a backup of the registry when you start your computer successfully=
 each day. By default, five previous copies or the registry are stored. To=
 restore one of these previous copies:

1/ Start your computer, press and hold CTRL, and then choose
'Safe Mode Command Prompt Only' from the Windows 98 Startup menu.
If you are running Windows Me, start your computer with the startup disk.

2/ At the MS-DOS prompt, type 'cd\windows\command' (without quote's),
and then press ENTER.
Where "windows" is the name of the folder in which Windows is installed.

3/ At the C: prompt, type 'scanreg /restore' , and then press ENTER.

4/ Select the previous registry you want to restore, and then press ENTER.
NOTE : A properly working registry has the word "Started" next to the date.=

5/ When you receive notification that you restored a properly working=
 registry, press ENTER to restart your computer.

Mike ~ one of the Moderators
It is a good day if I learned something new.
Editor MikesWhatsNews http://www.mwn.ca/

******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********

On 8/7/2005 at 4:44 PM Scott wrote:

Hi folks. I watch the goings on here on a daily basis to gather info. But
now I have to join the fray.

Here it is. First off, the machine I am working on is a Dell Dimension
L700CX, Win ME O/S, 512mb ram, that up until yesterday was working
fine.This
machine belongs to my 6yr old daughter. The problem started yesterday
after I did 2 things, #1) I ran a defrag and #2) I turned off the hibernate=

options in the power management options. After that I tried to reboot and
only get to the startup options screen after the Dell splash screen.
I have tried to reinstall ME over whats there and get all the way to where
it wants to reboot and get an error message stating that it can't finish=
 the
bootup because of some failure in initializing the VMPCD.
I of course have Googled that and checked the archives and tried to boot to
safe mode and am pulling my hair out, what little I have left<GROAN>,
because my daughter just got some new games and now can't play them.
At this point I am about ready to take it to a shop and let them have at=
 it.
I unfortunately bought the machine used and don't have any restore discs or=

recovery disc's whatsoever.

I thank you all in advance for your words of
wisdom, suggestions, and deeper knowledge than what I have.
Thanks for your time, Scott.