-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Why are these here?

  • From: Don <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 09:23:45 -0400

Also, the folders listed in my original do not exist (even with
different unique names) in either the Vista or XP root.  Again, I am
accustomed to seeing these folders on the main drive, not on a second
physical drive.  The folders AMD64 and i386  do not exist on my Vista
partition except within various sub-folders within a folder called
"windows.old".   They both exist on the XP partition but only in
locations where I have never looked for them before.

View is set to include hidden and protected system files and folders.

Don

dsw32952 wrote:
> I have always seen the files listed in my original message (see below)
> or similar files in the root directory of the boot drive.  Probably
> because that has typically been the only drive or because a second drive
> was installed after the OS had been installed on the first.
>
> I am curious as to why, in a two physical drive system, they exist on a
> second physical drive.  They also exist in the root directory of the
> Vista partition but with later dates or times.  There are no similar
> "system" files like these in the root of the XP partition.
>
> The second physical drive was formatted when it was installed so it is
> very unlikely in my opinion they managed to survive from a previous
> life.  Is dual booting a factor here?  Since they exist on the Vista
> drive also, what will happen if I delete them from the second drive.
>
> I just re-installed XP to fix a boot problem and then installed EasyBCD
> to re-install the Vista Bootloader/MBR.
>
> Can anyone with a bit more knowledge of these files than I have hazard a
> guess as to why they are where they are or why they are in two locations
> or whether one or the other set can be deleted?
>
> Don
>

> Don wrote:
>
>> Autoexec.bat
>> boot.ini
>> config.sys
>> io.sys
>> msdos.sys
>> ntbootdd.sys
>> ntdetect.com
>> ntldr
>>
>> That list of files is present in the root directory of my DATA disk.  No
>> OS installed on it at all.  I did not move or copy them there, at least
>> not knowingly.  These are similar to files I am accustomed to seeing in
>> the root directory of a boot disk or partition.  These files (with
>> different dates and/or times) are present in the Vista partition root
>> directory.
>>
>> Also present are a few folders with those uniques names created by
>> whoever creates them (names like 0bc9d3bbd37024433211fb44)
>>
>> These contain folders like   update (in one folder)  amd64  i386  (both
>> in 3 different folder, each pair with different date modified dates)
>>

>> Can anybody explain or make an educated guess as to why these files are
>> here and how they got there?
>>
>> Don

in the Subject.