-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Why are these here?

  • From: dsw32952 <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 08:53:48 -0400

I have always seen the files listed in my original message (see below)
or similar files in the root directory of the boot drive.  Probably
because that has typically been the only drive or because a second drive
was installed after the OS had been installed on the first.

I am curious as to why, in a two physical drive system, they exist on a
second physical drive.  They also exist in the root directory of the
Vista partition but with later dates or times.  There are no similar
"system" files like these in the root of the XP partition.

The second physical drive was formatted when it was installed so it is
very unlikely in my opinion they managed to survive from a previous
life.  Is dual booting a factor here?  Since they exist on the Vista
drive also, what will happen if I delete them from the second drive.

I just re-installed XP to fix a boot problem and then installed EasyBCD
to re-install the Vista Bootloader/MBR.

Can anyone with a bit more knowledge of these files than I have hazard a
guess as to why they are where they are or why they are in two locations
or whether one or the other set can be deleted?

Don

Don wrote:
> Autoexec.bat
> boot.ini
> config.sys
> io.sys
> msdos.sys
> ntbootdd.sys
> ntdetect.com
> ntldr
>
> That list of files is present in the root directory of my DATA disk.  No
> OS installed on it at all.  I did not move or copy them there, at least
> not knowingly.  These are similar to files I am accustomed to seeing in
> the root directory of a boot disk or partition.  These files (with
> different dates and/or times) are present in the Vista partition root
> directory.
>
> Also present are a few folders with those uniques names created by
> whoever creates them (names like 0bc9d3bbd37024433211fb44)
>
> These contain folders like   update (in one folder)  amd64  i386  (both
> in 3 different folder, each pair with different date modified dates)
>

> Can anybody explain or make an educated guess as to why these files are
> here and how they got there?
>
> Don

> in the Subject.

> pctechtalk-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> To join our separate PCTableTalk off-topic group, send a blank email to:
> pctabletalk+subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
in the Subject.