-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Trend Micro Slow Down

  • From: "GMan" <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 18:04:52 -0400

Absolutely.  It only takes a flipped bit or two (1 instead of 0 or 0 instead
of 1) to cause strange problems like this.  If they occur in the part of the
install that translates into a text file or something harmless like that, it
won't be any problem for the install.  However, if it's part of the INI or
INF file that controls the install, anything can happen.

This sort of corruption happens all the time and can affect any and all of
the files on your system.  It's usually the result of the file being in use
(the data is sitting in RAM) when the computer absorbs a power spike or
brown out.  If it doesn't crash the system (and 99.99% of them won't), the
file may get a few bits flipped.  When you're done working on the file, it's
then rewritten back to the hard drive, overwriting the old, uncorrupted
version.  Most of the RAM sold today easily compensates for these flipped
bits, so you'll never notice the difference and neither will most software.
Installations are different, however, necause they are highly compressed
files that contain other highly compressed files.  When they try to unpack
the files inside them, they rely on the bits being what they're supposed to
be.  A single flipped bit in a highly compressed file can easily translate
into a whole lot of wrong bits in the uncompressed version of the affected
file.

Peace,
GMan