-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Stymied here

  • From: "Jimmy Dalla" <jimmyrd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 18:40:08 -0500

Hi Jo Ann,

It seems impossible that a computer running XP does not have antivirus
software.  XP does come with a firewall (a very weak one though, and it can
be turned off).   Any computer that has been connected to the internet is
exposed almost constantly to Trojan horse or other malware, especially if
faster than a dial-up connection.

If you can get online get some of the free antivirus and Trojan  programs,
also anti-rootkit support.   I'd suggest the Microsoft Security Essentials
for anti-viruses.  And especially I'd also download MalwareBytes'
Anti-malware for Trojans.  (And personally, I'd also download and run the
MSRT-Root Kit and the latest Spybot Search and Destroy.  That's just me - a
belt and suspenders kind of guy.)

All are freeware.  I did not include a link because anyone can Google on
these names and get the software download sites.

Make sure the firewall is turned on.

Now as to the order of download, install and operation:
1. MSE first.  Download, get off-line, install, and deep scan.
2. Malwarebytes next.  Download, get off-line install, and run a complete
scan.
3. Then the MSRT Rootkit and Spybot S&D.

Finally, timely maintenance of these programs is suggested.

Ciao,
Jimmy

Will
> hook it up to the internet and see if it will let me download something, I
guess.
> Jo Ann
>
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Sr. Dorothy Robinson
> <srdorothy@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
> > Jo Ann,
> > Are you running an antivirus software?  With Windows, that is
> > something you really can't do without.  If you do have one, have you
> > updated the definitions lately (sometimes it's automatic) or run a scan?
> Results?
> > Sr. Dorothy
> > On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 8:05 AM, bookworm54 tds.net
> > <bookworm54@xxxxxxx
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > I have a computer I'm trying to work on without much luck. It's a
> > > Dell Dimension E521 desktop running XP media edition. Friends said
> > > they think
> > it
> > > has a virus or worm as it keeps popping up virus messages. It has no
> > > PS2 ports, only USB. The only drives it has are a hard drive and CD,
> > > which
> > are
> > > both SATA drives. The CD is seen and recognized in the BIOs, but
> > > doesn't show in my computer. When you put a disk in it the light
> > > blinks for a while, then stops, doesn't read the disk. There are no
> > > IDE plugs on the mobo,
> > and
> > > don't have a SATA CD drive. How can I do anything with it? By the
> > > way, it boots and runs normally except for a disk seek error on
> > > startup which you can bypass by hitting F1. With no internet hooked
up, it
> seems normal.
> > > Don't
> > > see any virus messages. Where to start?
> > > Jo Ann

email
> to pctechtalk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "unsubscribe" in the Subject.

> pctechtalk-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> To join our separate PCTableTalk off-topic group, send a blank email to:
> pctabletalk+subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
in the Subject.