-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Stymied here

  • From: "bookworm54 tds.net" <bookworm54@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 14:49:03 -0400

I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear, this is not my computer and I know
very little about it. As far as I can see, there is no active anti-virus
software on it. I want to put something on, but with no CD drive, I don't
see how I can. Will hook it up to the internet and see if it will let me
download something, I guess.
Jo Ann

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Sr. Dorothy Robinson
<srdorothy@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Jo Ann,
> Are you running an antivirus software?  With Windows, that is something you
> really can't do without.  If you do have one, have you updated the
> definitions lately (sometimes it's automatic) or run a scan?  Results?
> Sr. Dorothy
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 8:05 AM, bookworm54 tds.net <bookworm54@xxxxxxx
> >wrote:
>
> > I have a computer I'm trying to work on without much luck. It's a Dell
> > Dimension E521 desktop running XP media edition. Friends said they think
> it
> > has a virus or worm as it keeps popping up virus messages. It has no PS2
> > ports, only USB. The only drives it has are a hard drive and CD, which
> are
> > both SATA drives. The CD is seen and recognized in the BIOs, but doesn't
> > show in my computer. When you put a disk in it the light blinks for a
> > while,
> > then stops, doesn't read the disk. There are no IDE plugs on the mobo,
> and
> > don't have a SATA CD drive. How can I do anything with it? By the way, it
> > boots and runs normally except for a disk seek error on startup which you
> > can bypass by hitting F1. With no internet hooked up, it seems normal.
> > Don't
> > see any virus messages. Where to start?
> > Jo Ann

in the Subject.