-=PCTechTalk=- Stymied here

  • From: "bookworm54 tds.net" <bookworm54@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 11:05:05 -0400

I have a computer I'm trying to work on without much luck. It's a Dell
Dimension E521 desktop running XP media edition. Friends said they think it
has a virus or worm as it keeps popping up virus messages. It has no PS2
ports, only USB. The only drives it has are a hard drive and CD, which are
both SATA drives. The CD is seen and recognized in the BIOs, but doesn't
show in my computer. When you put a disk in it the light blinks for a while,
then stops, doesn't read the disk. There are no IDE plugs on the mobo, and I
don't have a SATA CD drive. How can I do anything with it? By the way, it
boots and runs normally except for a disk seek error on startup which you
can bypass by hitting F1. With no internet hooked up, it seems normal. Don't
see any virus messages. Where to start?
Jo Ann

in the Subject.