-=PCTechTalk=- It's a mystery!--copying files--hard disk to CD-RW--HELPPP!--Sanity check, please!

  • From: "Jo-Ski" <josl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 21:08:42 -0700

Dear folks,
Last night I had a deja-vu experience, in which I was, for the first time, able
to EFFORTLESSLY copy files from my hard drive (I'm using a Dell Studio 17
Windows 7 laptop) to a CD-RW disc the way it used to happen in the good ol'
days of floppy disks/Iomega disks: I simply dragged and dropped the files I
wanted copied from my hard drive to the CD-RW, and magically they were copied
to the disc.

THE MYSTERY AND THE MIRACLE: No "BS" list in the CD-RW window of "Files
Currently Waiting to Be Copied"--like some "file Purgatory"  (after I had
already dragged/dropped them to the bloody CD-RW), no bleedin' extra step to
execute the actual copy to disc, no annoying Windows Wizard-powered program
"overseeing" the process. As I say, last night was a first--every time I've
ever copied files to CD-RW on my current laptop (and every other computer I've
owned with a RW drive), it's been this stupid, multi-step process.

Anyhow, last night, I figured I must be losing my mind, so I need a
sanity-check from you all, please!

The only thing I have done to alter my system is to install ITunes in past
weeks. Can it be that ITunes has taken all the pain out of what used to be a
simple copy operation from hard disk to external storage medium--e.g., in the
days of floppy disks?

Btw, the files I was backing up to CD-RW were all kinds of different files, not
just music files.

Many thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this phenom!

Jo-ski, dazed and confused (but happy if this lasts!)
in the Subject.